28th September 1966: Celtic v Zurich European Cup – Part One

26th September
On Monday morning, the outline of the Dundee match was laid out on the back pages in three simple headlines and told us all we needed to know about the way the match unfolded ;-

It’s Penman


Celtic Shaken


Celts Give Their Answer

There were few injuries for Bob Rooney to deal with. Joe McBride had limped off at half-time at Dens Park and did not come out for the second half but apparently his injury was much-improved over the weekend and it was expected that he would be fit for the match against Zurich on the Wednesday.

zurichThe Celtic players trained at Barrowfield to prepare for the club’s first-ever European Cup tie. We did not go to Seamill on this occasion for reasons unspecified. Perhaps people were still on holiday?

At the same time Rangers were leaving Glasgow Airport for Belfast, where they would play Glentoran in a European Cup Winners’ on the Tuesday. They had injury worries over Willie Henderson and George McLean, still suffering from their exertions against Aberdeen the previous Saturday.

27th September
There was good news for Celtic fans in the evening papers;

McBride Ready and Trains Today

As the Celtic players were training at Barrowfield, and as the press reports said –‘planning moves for tomorrow night’ – the gates of Paradise were thrown open to the Swiss side. ‘With characteristic generosity of good hosts, Celtic allowed their opponents to train on the pitch itself while they made do with second best’.


28th September
A big Celtic headline was very prominent on the back pages of the dailies;

McBride or Chalmers

Jock Stein announced that ‘every player in the pool is fit but I will not name a team until near kick-off time. I have cut the numbers to 12 – the men who played and won against Dundee at Dens Park on Saturday’.

The ‘team from 12’ meant that the defence had already been chosen and the only doubts were concerning the 3 inside-forwards, McBride, Chalmers and Auld.

Other Sides in Action
The previous evening, Burnley had played a Fairs Cup First Round Second Leg tie against Stuttgart of West Germany at Turf Moor. The Lancashire club won 2-0 and that put them through to round two on a 3-1 aggregate score.

All was not well at Tynecastle. It was announced that manager Tommy Walker had handed in his resignation. From press reports over a number of weeks, it seemed obvious that he and the Hearts Board were not following the same path and now he had had enough.
Walker took over the hot seat at Tynecastle in 1951 and had led Hearts to 2 Scottish League titles, one Scottish Cup and 4 League Cups.


The first volume of the ‘Selected Works of Mao Tse-Tung’ went on sale in Peking bookshops today, heralded by ‘loud firecrackers and the beauty of gongs and drums’ according to the New China News Agency.
Long queues of buyers who formed outside more than 20 bookshops sang songs such as ‘I like Chairman Mao’s books the best’- while waiting in line.

Japan declared 56 cities, towns and villages disaster areas as the official number of deaths caused by this week’s typhoons reached 211.
Police reported 813 injured and 91,492 driven out of their homes because of destruction or flooding.

A second inquiry into the crash of a British European Airways plane at Munich in 1958, in which 28 people, including 8 Manchester United players died, confirmed that ice on the wings of the plane caused the crash.
The crash happened at Munich Airport as the plane was taking off for London. The pilot, Captain James Thain, lost his licence after the disaster and has been trying to clear his name. He claimed that slush on the runway caused the crash
The report stated that if there had been no ice on the wings of the plane, the state of the runway at the time would have allowed the plane to reach the speed needed for a successful take-off.