24th September 1966: Dundee v Celtic League – Part Two

Morning of the Match

dundeeI had not been involved in the Reserve team the night before against Dundee but I was intending to play in the Combined Reserve team match that afternoon. The Boss and I had discussed my position, where I was studying for my finals – coming up in the first weeks of October – and also trying to fit in training and playing at the same time. It was hard going!

He had suggested that I concentrate on the studies for the next few weeks and make football a secondary pastime during that period. He did ask if I wanted to pull out altogether but I refused, saying that I wanted to keep up my fitness. At best, it meant that, for a few weeks, I would not have to keep worrying about my position in the team….all that would return again, after my finals.

The travelling party to Dundee would have stopped somewhere for a pre-match meal then made its way to Dens Park, which, at that time, was a wonderful surface to play on. It was just an odd arrangement that this fine ground was situated only 300 yards or so from another fine stadium, where Dundee United played all their home games.



Dundee: Donaldson, Wilson, Cox, Houston, Easton, Stuart, McKay, Penman, Cameron, Murray, Campbell.   Sub: Kinninmonth

Celtic: Simpson, Gemmell, O’Neill, Murdoch, McNeill, Clark, Johnstone, Lennox, McBride, Auld, Hughes.   Sub: Chalmers



With 25,000 fans inside the ground and more milling around outside, play was delayed for 10 minutes or so before Celtic got the chance to kick-off. Right from the start, our guys did most of the pressing but it was Dundee who made the best early chance, when some fine inter-play between McKay and Campbell gave Penman an opportunity and his fierce 25-yarder hit the cross bar and then flew into the crowd.

Yogi and Joe both missed good chances, then in 29 minutes, up stepped Penman again and this time he smashed a 20-yarder past Ronnie into the roof of the net to give Dundee the lead.

Four minutes later, Celtic were level. Bertie took a free-kick, Cesar headed the ball down and Bobby Lennox blasted it into the net for the equaliser.

The half ended with two men being pulled from the ground by police and marched round the pitch to the pavilion.

Joe was kept inside at half-time and Stevie was brought on, becoming Celtic’s first league substitute and the guys again took control, making some chances but not taking them. One incident that caught the attention of the crowd was when one of the linesmen apparently became ill and was assisted into the dressing-room by physio Bob Rooney. Play was held up for a few minutes while a replacement was found.

The deadlock was broken 12 minutes from time. Houston handled the ball in the penalty area; keeper Donaldson saved Yogi’s spot kick; but Stevie, following up, fairly lashed the ball into the net for the winner.

Dundee  1  Celtic  2


Other Results

Airdrie 1 0 Falkirk
Ayr United 0 7 Dundee United
Clyde 1 3 Kilmarnock
Hibs 7 0 Partick Thistle
Rangers 3 0 Aberdeen
St. Johnstone 3 3 Dunfermline
St. Mirren 0 5 Motherwell
Stirling Albion 0 3 Hearts



Combined Reserve League Match.

The match for the Combined Reserve team was at Barrowfield, played at the same time as the first team clash at Dens Park. We won 4-0 and the team was Martin, ‘Newman’, Gorman, Halpin, Craig, Brogan, Goodwin, Gray, Clarke, Taylor, ‘Junior’. The goals came from Jim Clarke (2), Tony Taylor and Jim Brogan


Tough Guys

Strong pickets from American naval ships will patrol Glasgow tonight to guard against any repetition of unruly incidents in city dance halls.

Extra police will be on guard at the Locarno Ballroom in Sauchiehall Street – out of bounds to U.S. sailors following unruly scenes earlier this week.

Three sailors from two U.S. ships were injured in clashes with civilians.


A Timing Problem

Dr Fidel Castro, the bearded Premier of Cuba, kept Mr Nikita Kruschev waiting for dinner in New York last night.

In familiar battledress and peaked cap, he arrived 36 minutes late for the engagement at the Soviet leader’s residence in Park Avenue.

But Mr Kruschev did not appear to be put out – while he was waiting on the pavement outside he held one of his impromptu press conferences.


Mair Lights!

Rangers Football Club received planning permission from Glasgow Corporation for the installation of new floodlights at the Edmiston Drive end of their ground at Ibrox.