8th March 1968:  Celtic v Newcastle – Friendly

7th March

The day after the Aberdeen match was an easy one for the guys who had played; they just did some light work. For the rest of us, it was business as usual and we put a shift in.


Later that day, news came through that Rangers were apparently not willing to play Celtic in the semi-final of the Glasgow Cup, their officials stating that they are involved in too many competitions. The decision was treated with dismay by Rangers fans and glee by those supporting the Hoops, as it definitely did appear to be a backing-down on the part of Rangers from an Old Firm contest.


Day of the Match

An amazing crowd of 42,000 was at Parkhead for this clash, played on a Friday night, the game only taking place because both teams had been knocked out of their respective cup competitions. Before the start, the Hoops fans were in full voice, screaming that Ranger’ were afraid to play us’ or perhaps words to that effect.




Gemmell, O’Neill
Murdoch, McNeill, Brogan
Johnstone, Lennox, Wallace, Connelly, Hughes.
Sub: Chalmers


Burton, Clark
Elliott, Winstanley, Moncur
Sinclair, Scott, Davies, B Robson, T Robson.
Sub: Iley

The Play

Naturally, being the home team, we threw everything we had at Newcastle in the first half but their defence was in fine form. We did have chances through a Cesar header and shots by Chopper and Connelly but, much to the annoyance of the support, Newcastle went ahead in 32 minutes, when a cross by Elliott was headed in by Davies.

I should not have imagined that the Boss would have been too happy at the interval and he would have been even more unhappy halfway through the second half when outside-right Sinclair skinned Tam and sent in a cross which Scott headed home.

It is not often that you hear boos from the Celtic support directed at their own side but that night, they were certainly audible. And the game had an almost unbelievable ending-

87 minutes….Jinky blasted one high into the roof of the net. 2-1 Newcastle

89 minutes….Newcastle get another when T Robson scores from a Davies pass.       3-1 Newcastle

90 minutes….Lemon scores a fine goal right on the whistle

Final Score  Celtic  2  Newcastle  3