8th June 1966: North American Tour – Celtic v Bayern Munich

After the trip to Vancouver for the third match against Spurs, it was back to the US and San Francisco to face Bayern Munich. The team in the all-red strip had recently won the West German Cup by beating MSV Duisburg 1-0 and, as the national Bundesliga only came into being in 1963, they were keen to make a name for themselves in the wider world. That made the match against Celtic an important one and both teams were up for the occasion.

Celtic’s problem, of course, was a shortage of players and Jock Stein must have been saying a prayer that none of his players picked up an injury when he announced an eleven of Fallon, Gemmell, O’Neill, Murdoch, McNeill, Clark, Gallagher, McBride, Chalmers, Lennox and Hughes.


Unfortunately, although, the match in the Kezar Stadium ended in a 2-2 draw, it would be remembered for all the wrong reasons ;-


Chalmers Chases German As Champions Draw 2-2


Celtic in Brawl!

Celtic kept their unbeaten tour record here last night when they drew 2-2 with the German aces Bayern Munich in an explosive clash which was held up for seven minutes when some of the players fought and part of the 12,000 crowd invaded the pitch.


Running fights started between players and fans after Celtic’s Steve Chalmers swapped punches with Munich full back Adolph Kuntswald.


Kuntswald landed one punch to Chalmers’ mouth and when the Celtic star retaliated the game boiled over into late amazing scenes.


Hundreds of fans invaded the field and free-for-alls broke out all over the place.


Chalmers ended by chasing Kuntswald behind the German goal.


Right from the start, Celtic had swooped into attack but some of their shooting was right off target and when their shots were good Fritz Kosar, the Bayern keeper, made some spectacular saves. He was the outstanding man of the match.


Celtic’s attacks kept Bayern on the defensive for most of the first half but in the 21st minute, Dieter Brenniger broke through and passed to Rainer Obelhauser, who blasted the ball into the net.


After the interval, Obelhauser struck again with a 20 yard goal after a magnificent solo run in the 67th minute.


Bobby Lennox brought Celtic back into the game in the 75th minute when he picked up a loose ball and gave Kosar no chance.


Then came the trouble, which lasted for fully seven minutes before the spectators were persuaded to return to their seats and the players to switch back again from fighting to football.


In an atmosphere of tremendous excitement McBride then scored Celtic’s equaliser to maintain their undefeated record during their tour, which ends on Sunday with a game against Atlas, of Mexico, in Los Angeles.