26th April 1968: Build-up to the final league match of the season

Two days before the Scottish Cup Final, Hearts have freed 9 players and retained 14 for next season. The shock free is left-winger Bobby Kerr, who was signed from St Johnstone for a fee of £8000 in December 1966.

The press was hardly magnanimous in its appraisal of Manchester United’s performance against Real Madrid

‘At Old Trafford last night Manchester United huffed and puffed  but they just could not blow the house of Real Madrid down. At the end of 90 minutes, all they had to show for wave after wave of attacks was the superb goal scored by George Best’.

And if you thought that those words were not very complimentary, then what about these –

‘Kidd and Aston were plodders and nothing more. Best scored his goal – and flopped. But the biggest disappointment was Pat Crerand – he had a shocker!’.

There was not a great deal of info from the team managers about the forthcoming final. Hearts were based at Crieff and Dunfermline at Dunblane but neither squad seemed to have any injury worries although one of the evening papers had an interesting piece about the goalkeeping position for the Pars –

Fifers Spring Cup Surprise

And that surprise was that, even in spite of the fact that he had put in a transfer request earlier in the month, ex-Celt Bent Matin had been chosen in goal for the Pars.

However, though one of Scotland’s big days in the national sport was taking place at Hampden, the press seemed more interested in the clash between Rangers and Aberdeen, the latter at that point lying 5th in the table, behind Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and Dunfermline – with a record of –

P          W        D         L          F          A         Pts

33         15        5         13        60        46         35


While the challenge of Aberdeen did get some mention, the headlines tended to concentrate on the Light Blues, this one being a perfect example –

Rangers to Keep it Boiling


And while all this attention was being paid to the matches at Hampden and Ibrox, over at Parkhead, we were going through our usual routine just three days away from our own big clash with Dunfermline. Everyone was fit and you could say we were raring-to-go! But we would be keeping more than half-an-eye on the score from Ibrox on the morrow.

40 bus passengers and the driver of a heavy lorry were taken to the Southern General Hospital, Glasgow after a packed double-decker corporation bus and a lorry collided.

The accident happened at the junction of Mosspark Boulevard and Corkerhill Road, Cardonald, an accident blackspot.

The injured, who included the bus driver and conductor, suffered mainly cuts, bruises and shock.